Copyright 2015 Irvine Probate Law.
All Rights Reserved.

8:00 - 5:00

Our Opening Hours Mon. - Fri.

(714) 244-5143

Call Us For Free Consultation




I Have an Addicted Son; Should I Disinherit Him?

Irvine Probate Law > Estate Law  > I Have an Addicted Son; Should I Disinherit Him?

I Have an Addicted Son; Should I Disinherit Him?

Sadly, many Americans have trouble with drug, alcohol, and gambling addictions However, if you have actually an addicted kid, you don’t need to disinherit him. Disinheritance causes terrific psychological injury as inheritances represent the love of a moms and dad for a child (whether we want to confess it or not.).

Disinheritance might cause emotional upset which may make the dependency worse and trigger lifelong discord in between your kids and even your grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Even though we are encouraging you not to disinherit an addicted kid; we DO NOT recommend that you offer a straight-out inheritance.
An outright inheritance, typically, isn’t in anybody’s best interest. For an addicted beneficiary, a straight-out inheritance might prove deadly as it has been discovered to sustain addictions. Instead, supply an inheritance in a trust with an independent professional trustee such as a corporate fiduciary or a CPA.

Don’t name your enduring partner or another child as trustee of the trustee. Your addicted recipient will likely inconvenience the trustee and it’s not excellent for the wellness of a family member or for the family relationships.
The independent trustee can pay your child’s costs directly to a rehab center, physician, landlord, and the like. In addition, if your recipient gains manage over the dependency, some funds can be distributed to him if he passes a drug or alcohol test, as appropriate. You choose the terms with the suggestions of your legal counsel.

An added benefit to offering a lifetime trust for your addicted recipient is that it can’t be seized by your beneficiaries’ financial institutions or separating spouse. It will constantly exist, unless it gets invested down for needs, and can’t be taken from your beneficiary.
Consult with a qualified estate planning lawyer to see how your trust provisions need to be prepared to meet the requirements of your particular recipient. There are alternatives to disinheriting an addicted kid.

No Comments

Leave a Comment